Dr. Treffert, our mentor and the creator of the Treffert Approach being utilized at Treffert Way for the Exceptional Mind school was honored by the Wisconsin Medical Society Board of Directors. Please read the article at the SSM Health webpage, https://www.agnesian.com/blog/darold-treffert-receives-societys-highest-honor, to find out more about this prestigious award.
Even though the initial enrollment period has closed, we encourage you to complete the enrollment form so your child can be added to the waitlist. We will contact you within a few days of registration to inform you of your place on the waitlist. If you have any questions please e-mail us.
A great learning opportunity is available on March 8. Trevor Clark, PhD, National Director Research & Senior Education Consultant, Autism Spectrum Australia will be presenting on a variety of topics relevant to our school including strength based learning. Please see the information on this registration site. All of our staff will be in attendance!
North Fond du Lac School District families who wish to have their student(s) attend Treffert Way School for the Exceptional Mind please read requirements below. To enroll online click here, or download Treffert Way PDF Application
Requirements for Enrollment within the School District of North Fond du Lac
- Must be a student enrolled in or open-enrolled into the North Fond du Lac School District
- Must be a 5K through 6th grade level student for the 2019-2020 school year.
(Due to DPI requirements, a few updates to this enrollment process have been made.) Application to and attendance at Treffert Way is voluntary and no tuition is charged. Students who do not wish to attend or are not admitted into Treffert Way may attend their home school or their home district.
Parents will enroll their children by completing an Intent to Enroll form. A parent/guardian is encouraged to attend an informational meeting in order to assure understanding of the nature and work of the school. If parents would like to proceed with the enrollment process they will be asked to complete an application. If the number of applicants from exceeds available seats (40 seats), a lottery will be employed. The names of students on the waiting list will be recorded in the order in which they were drawn. The waiting list will roll over from year to year.
Families will receive information about Treffert Way through press release, social media, and radio announcements in late December and early January.
NOTE: If a current North Fond du Lac student changes their mind and wishes to apply to Treffert Way after the enrollment period is closed, they must follow the out of district rules.
Enrollment Process for Students outside the District
Families interested in having their child attend Treffert Way will need to complete an Intent to Enroll form. They will be available online no later than January 14, 2019, and available in the school office. If more out of district students apply than the number of seats available a lottery will be held.
If a lottery is needed, it will be held on (NEW DATE) March 11, 2019
February 25, 2019. All students will be notified including those who were placed on the waitlist. Individual acceptance of open enrollment students will occur after April 18, 2019 pending North Fond du Lac School Board approval.
- The lottery will be videotaped and kept on file for one calendar year.
- Each application will have a numbered ticket attached to it; a duplicate ticket will be placed in a drum or similar container. Applicants of the same family will receive just one numbered ticket.
- A governance board member of the Treffert Way will draw numbers from the drum or similar container and the names of the students will be written down in order, until the maximum is reached.
- Numbers will then be drawn to form a waiting list. The names of the students will be recorded for the waiting list in the order that they are drawn.
Waiting List Protocols
- Students will be called from the waiting list in the order they were placed when seats become available. Families will either accept the open seat or decline it. By declining the seat, the student is removed from the waiting list. If a family wants to be considered for the following year for the next grade, they would need to reapply.
- The waitlist will remain active until September 30, 2019. At that time, no new students will be accepted for the school year. There is the opportunity to re-apply for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Periodically, the administration will review enrollment to determine if and how many seats are available for calling up students from the waiting list.
- January 14th to February 8th- North Fond du Lac School District families and Out of district families fill out an Intent to Enroll Form.
- February 19, 21, 27- Attend one of the informational meetings and fill out an application for the Treffert Way.
- NEW DATE – March 11, 2019
February 25, 2019– If needed a lottery to determine who will be sitting in the 40 seats.
- NEW DATE – March 11, 2019
- March and April- Staff will be in contact to outline your students personalized education plan.
Treffert Way for the Exceptional Mind is a school of optional enrollment for all students entering grades K-6.
The school is inclusively designed to provide diverse learners with an appropriately matched educational environment that will invite them to explore and recognize their potential for life success. Treffert Way for the Exceptional Mind will open in September of 2019.
Enrollment will take place from January 14-February 8, 2019.
Enrollment is first open to current North Fond du Lac students with remaining seats available to surrounding districts.
Informational meetings will be held January 15th at 6:00 and January 21st at 4:00, at Early Learning Center in North Fond du Lac.
Families who live outside of the district should apply for Treffert Way during the Enrollment Period, but must also apply for open enrollment through DPI sometime between February 4-April 30, 2019.
Treffert Way for the Exceptional Mind is a community-engaged public charter school in the North Fond du Lac School District. The school is open to all children. The unique aim of this school is to recognize the individual talent of each student and design learning experiences focused on these talents. The individual learner is therefore at the center of our educational approach. Staff will work to support students in reaching their full potential by personalizing their learning opportunities, building on their unique strengths and interests.