The Treffert Way is a school of optional enrollment for all students, inclusively designed to provide diverse learners with an appropriately matched educational environment that will invite them to explore and recognize their potential for life success.
Our foundation is built upon the six-step philosophy of the Treffert Approach.
- Individualized: We recognize each student for who they are, supporting them with an individualized, comprehensive educational experience developed by our multi-disciplinary team of educators and the student.
- Strength-Based and Learner-Centered: We hold the core belief that all students have strengths and talents. Our aim is to build upon each student’s skills and interests to assist them in reaching their potential.
- Natural Environment: We utilize everyday events to cultivate growth opportunities for our learners.
- Developmental Perspective: We support learners in developing new skills and participating in developmentally appropriate activities across environments.
- Sensory Aware: We all gather information and experience the world through our senses. We recognize that the ability to filter this constant flow of incoming messages may happen differently for some individuals. We identify and understand differences and support individuals in learning self-regulation strategies to assist them in interacting with their environment successfully.
- Collaborative: We understand the best outcomes occur when we invest in relationships with learners, staff, families, and community partners and when we listen, learn and work together to achieve shared goals.
Our community-engaged school offers a safe learning environment where students are taught self-regulation, social-emotional skills and empathy. Our goal is that our life-long learners will be active and thrive in their communities.